Have you ever just needed to get rid of some turnips? Well I have. My kitchen is occasionally graced with some locally grown produce and this time they gave me an enormous harvest of Brassica Rapa that had been completely forgotten about and overgrown with weeds.
"But, wait... Turnips come in the fall, don't they?" Well, technically yes, Timmy, fall is the best time to harvest this particular tasty root vegetable.... but if you just plumb forgot that you planted them, anytime is the right time.
Here's a delicious way to get in touch with your roots:
Low Carb Root Vegetable “French Fries”
1 pound fresh Turnips, washed, stems cut off
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Peel the washed and de-stemmed turnips and cut into “French Fry” sized sticks.
3. Place the turnip sticks into a mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil to coat thoroughly.
4. In a separate bowl combine the salt, garlic and onion powder, paprika, and parmesan; sprinkle in the oiled turnip sticks and toss to coat with the seasonings.
5. While shaking off any excess seasoning, transfer the turnips sticks to a non-stick baking tray; make sure to spread them out so the tray is not too crowded.
6. Bake the turnip fries at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, until they are golden brown and the insides are tender and the outside is crispy.